Doctor of Nursing Practice
To meet the increasing complexity of our health care environment, the Institute of Medicine calls for health care to reduce the burden of illness, injury, and disability for our nation. Improvement strategies include the provision of care that is safe, effective, patient-centered, timely, efficient, and equitable. The DNP blends clinical, organizational, economic, and leadership skills to prepare nurses at the highest in health care.
What you learn
The UAMS DNP graduate will be prepared to lead inter-professional teams to identify, implement, and evaluate innovative health-care models to address improving quality outcomes for individuals, families, and populations. The UAMS College of Nursing offers two options for the DNP: nurse practitioner specialty (post-BSN to DNP) and post-master’s leadership focus.
- The nurse practitioner specialty plan of study prepares BSN – or master’s-prepared nurses for roles as nurse practitioners at the highest level.
- Individuals who are already licensed and certified as an APRN may apply to a post-BSN-to-DNP track for a second nurse practitioner area of certification.
- The post-master’s plan of study prepares individuals with graduate degrees in nursing administration or an APRN role for leadership roles.
Doctor of Nursing Practice Program
|Nurse Practitioner Specialty Preparation (post-BSN or post-master’s) (Fall Start)||Application Deadline||Fall (August) Start|
|Adult-Gero Acute Care Nurse Practitioner||March 1st||Classes for new DNP students begin each August|
|Adult-Gero Primary Care Nurse Practitioner||March 1st||Classes for new DNP students begin each August|
|Family Nurse Practitioner||March 1st||Classes for new DNP students begin each August|
|Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner||March 1st||Classes for new DNP students begin each August|
|Pediatric Nurse Practitioner-Primary Care||March 1st||Classes for new DNP students begin each August|
|Pediatric Nurse Practitioner-Acute Care||March 1st||Classes for new DNP students begin each August|
|DNP, Nurse Anesthesia Program||Application deadline:|
|Classes for new DNP students begin each August|
|Post-master’s leadership focus (5 and 7-semester options)||April 1st||Classes for new DNP students begin each August|
UAMS is one of the region’s major academic health centers. The UAMS College of Nursing is engaged in activities and partnerships that promote scholarly excellence, research and service to the university, nursing profession and society. DNP students will become experts in the evaluation and translation of evidence into practice settings driven by their interests and expertise to address significant healthcare or policy issues. As one of the six UAMS colleges (College of Health Professions, College of Medicine, College of Nursing, College of Pharmacy, College of Public Health, and the Graduate School), the College of Nursing offers excellent opportunities for students who desire a terminal clinical practice degree. In addition to our hospital and clinics, UAMS includes the following institutes of excellence:
- Translational Research Institute
- Donald W. Reynolds Institute on Aging
- Harvey and Bernice Jones Eye Institute
- Myeloma Institute for Research and Therapy
- Winthrop P. Rockefeller Cancer Institute
- Psychiatric Research Institute
- Jackson T. Stephens Spine and Neurosciences Institute
And a center of excellence:
- Hartford Center of Geriatric Nursing Excellence (one of only eight nursing programs in the country)
UAMS and the College of Nursing Offer DNP Students
- The opportunity to learn at UAMS, which is one of the region’s major academic health centers with outreach programs operating in every county and a regional campus in Northwest Arkansas
- Collaboration with community organizations and health care systems to promote health and disease and injury prevention and treatment.
- Access to the UAMS Library, a major biomedical information resource that is committed to meeting the information needs of its users with a strong service orientation that is characterized by responsiveness, professionalism, and effectiveness.
- A state of the art simulation center for interprofessional education