General Education Prerequisite Courses
The curriculum leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) requires the completion of 58 semester hours of required general education courses, which may be completed at any regionally accredited college or university. Beginning in the summer following the completion of the prerequisite courses, the upper-division professional requirements are completed at the College of Nursing, the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock.
UAMS College of Nursing BSN required prerequisites:
- 4 hours- Chemistry & Lab
- 4 hours – Microbiology & Lab
- 8 hours – Anatomy & Physiology & Labs
- 3 hours- History (U.S. History or American Government)
- 9 hours- Social Science (ex: psychology, anthropology, economics, geography, sociology, or history)
- 6 hours- Fine Arts/ Humanities (ex: logical reasoning, art, foreign language, philosophy, or music)
- 6 hours- English Composition I & II
- 3 hours -Speech Communication (ex: oral communications or technical writing)
- 3 hours- College Algebra
- 3 hours- Introductory Statistics
- 3 hours- Nutrition
- 6 hours- Electives
To see the prerequisites for each higher education institution in Arkansas, click the button below.
A basic course in computer literacy is highly encouraged as you choose your electives.
- The following cannot be used as electives:
- Remedial courses
- Nursing courses
- Technical courses
- Vocational courses
- Certificate courses
- A grade of “C” or better will be required for all prerequisite courses.
- Prerequisites may be required for the courses. Check your college catalog.
- Successful completion of the ATI TEAS exam is required within two years of application.
- A personal interview may also be required.
- CLEP or AP credit has to be transferred and listed on a university/college transcript from a regionally accredited institution.
- Courses listed as “exempted” will not be accepted for credit. Please check our BSN Prerequisite By College page for approved course numbers.
***Prospective students can request an advising appointment for a review of their unofficial transcript before applying. Email your request to: firstname.lastname@example.org.