UAMS College of Nursing History
The UAMS College of Nursing is celebrating 60 years of nursing excellence. The college’s commitment to its profession continues to ensure excellence in patient care, increases in valuable contributions to research and dedicated service to our communities.
In 1946 the Fort Smith District Federation of Women’s Clubs presented a resolution at the annual AFWC convention, at the request of the members of the Little Rock Departmental Club, asking the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville to establish a collegiate school of nursing. The resolution passed unanimously.
As a result, 14 nursing students were admitted to the first freshman class on Sept. 14, 1953. Sixty years later, the College has expanded to provide baccalaureate, master, and PhD level programs to over 600 students. It has one of only nine Hartford Centers of Geriatric Nursing Excellence in the nation and was ranked 38th in National Institutes of Health research funding in 2008. The college is well positioned for future success with its growing array of programs like the Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) which will start accepting students fall 2013.