General Education Prerequisite Courses
The curriculum leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) requires the completion of 58 semester hours of required general education courses, which may be completed at any accredited college or university. Beginning in the summer following the completion of the prerequisite courses, the upper division professional requirements are completed at the College of Nursing, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, or at the College’s off site campus in Hope, AR, located on the University of Arkansas Community College campus.
UAMS College of Nursing BSN required prerequisites
|Chemistry w/Lab||4 hours|
|Microbiology w/Lab||4 Hours|
|Anatomy & Physiology I w/Lab||4 hours|
|Anatomy & Physiology II w/Lab||4 hours|
|General Sociology||3 hours|
|US History or American National Government||3 hours|
|General Psychology||3 hours|
|Development Psychology or Lifespan Development||3 hours|
|Cultural Anthropology or History of Civilization||3 hours|
|English Composition I||3 hours|
|English Composition II||3 hours|
|College Algebra||3 hours|
|Intro to Statistics||3 hours|
|Speech or Oral Communications||3 hours|
|Total General Education Credits||58 hours|
EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2013–The required chemistry course and lab requirements have changed. Please review the chemistry course numbers prior to taking this course after the Spring 2013 semester as the required courses and labs will be updated beginning March 13, 2013.
- A basic course in computer literacy is highly encouraged as you choose your electives. The following cannot be used as electives:
- Remedial courses
- Nursing courses
- Technical courses
- Vocational courses
- Certificate courses
- A grade of “C” or better will be required for all prerequisite courses.
- Prerequisites may be required for the courses. Check your college catalog.
- Successful completion of the TEAS V exam is required within two years of application.
- A personal interview may also be required.